Monday, March 26, 2018

Round 1: (1) C is for Cthulhu vs. (16) Disney Babies 1 To 10

Unstoppable monsters from outside of space and time vs. the works of H.P. Lovecraft!


C is for Cthulhu
by Greg Murphy and Jason Ciaramella
Available in board book and Kindle formats. (Amazon)

This is a prime example of "making your kid like what you like", except, in this case, it worked. H. is a big fan of C is for Cthulhu, which means that we should hopefully be able to get him playing Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness with us by the time he hits kindergarten.

All that said, C is for Cthulhu is a really cute book full of unimaginable eldritch horrors. The art is gorgeous, and the book manages to make elements from the Lovecraft Mythos seem cute and cuddly, while still referencing the source texts in ways that are funny for adults. If you're a fan of Cthulhu and all his pals, I definitely recommend picking it up for yourself or an impressionable small person.

Disney Babies 1 To 10
by Fran Manushkin
Available in board book format. (Amazon)

I'll be honest, I've never been a huge fan of the core Disney line-up. My interests in their adventures pretty much begins and ends with those old "educational" cartoons of Goofy being really bad at skiing or dancing or working out. I'd take Duck Tales over a Mickey Mouse cartoon any day. So suffice to say, had this not been part of a bundle at a consignment sale, I would not have picked it up.

That said, H. has gotten into this book quite a bit over the last week or so. The majority of the counting just involves an increasing number of Disney babies as well as some of their toys. It's not particularly inspired. I'm not sure what's drawn H. to it, but I hope it passes.

Match-up Analysis

Normally I'd call it for C is for Cthulhu, since H. has been pretty nuts for it since he was old enough to have a preference, but as I said, H. has gotten really into Disney Babies recently.

Prediction

I'm going with C is for Cthulhu, purely for selfish reasons.

Results

H. broke my heart and chose Disney Babies 1 To 10.

Up Next

Disney Babies 1 To 10 will take it's chances against the winner of Baby Signs and Hop On Pop on April 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment