Saturday, March 3, 2018

Round 1: (8) But Not The Hippopotamus vs. (9) Cars and Trucks From A To Z

It's "cows" vs. cars and only one C word can reign supreme!


But Not The Hippopotamus
by Sandra Boynton
Available in board book, paperback, hardcover, and Kindle formats. (Amazon)

I'll be honest, we just bought this a week ago. I haven't even read it. It has the benefit of being a Sandra Boynton book, which he tends to like a lot, but frankly, this is uncharted territory. We'll see how it does.

Cars and Trucks From A To Z
by Richard Scarry
Available in board book and hardcover formats. (Amazon)

I guess Richard Scarry is a big thing again now, which is news to me. I loved his books as a kid, though, so I'm pretty hyped to get really invested in forcing my kid to love Lowly Worm as much as I used to. Anyway, there's a baboon driving a giant banana car like that's a totally normal thing for a baboon to be doing, and I think that's just rad.

The kids these days are still saying "rad", right? Don't tell me if they aren't.

Match-up Analysis

I think But Not The Hippopotamus' chances will hinge entirely on whether H. thinks the hippopotamus is a cow, as he sometimes does. Unfortunately, the cars in Cars and Trucks From A To Z are pretty consistently recognizable as cars even when made from unorthodox materials, which gives the book a virtual home court advantage.

Prediction

Cars and Trucks From A To Z's fruit-based shocks send it squeaking into a win.

Results

It looked like it was a pretty close call, but in the end, H. went with Cars and Trucks From A To Z as predicted, and But Not the Hippopotamus remains unread.

Up Next

Cars and Trucks From A To Z faces off against last night's winner, Moo, Baa, La La La on April 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment